B.Eng., University of Tokyo, 1964
M.Eng., University of Tokyo, 1966
Ph.D., University of Tokyo, 1969
P.Eng. (Ontario), since 1975
Fellow, Canadian Society for Civil Engineering, 1988
Professor, Civil Engineering
After seven years of experience at the Boundary Layer Wind Tunnel Laboratory, University of Western Ontario, working on research projects in Wind Engineering and Structural Dynamics, Dr. Tanaka joined the Faculty of Engineering at the University of Ottawa in 1979, where he has been carrying out teaching, research and administrative duties including Chair of Civil Engineering (1988-91, 2001-04) and Director of Ottawa-Carleton Institute for Civil Engineering (1987-88, 93-95, 1998-00). He is a well-recognized expert in the field of Wind Engineering, particularly in Bridge Aerodynamics, and has published over 200 scientific papers, engineering reports and articles. As engineering consultant, he has been involved in wind resistant design and aerodynamic consideration of many significant bridges world-wide, such as the Annacis Island Bridge (Canada), Bronx-Whitestone Bridge (USA) and Storebælt Bridge (Denmark). Meanwhile, he also worked as a guest researcher at National Research Council Canada, Danish Maritime Institute, Vienna Consulting Engineers etc.
Many of the research topics Dr. Tanaka has been engaged are related to the simulation and modelling of wind induced dynamic response of cable-supported bridges, such as aerodynamic instability, vortex shedding excitation and buffeting excitation by wind turbulence. His main interest is in improving the accuracy of prediction for these phenomena at the design stage of structures so that safety and serviceability of bridges would be better assured. His most recent research interests are on the safety of bridges particularly during erection and dynamic behaviour of cables.
He has been also involved in research activities with various subjects other than bridge aerodynamics. They include, for example, the following topics:
- Fundamental studies in bluff body aerodynamics;
- Dynamic behaviour of masts, chimneys and tall buildings;
- Mitigation of wind induced structural response;
- Problems related to the wind tunnel testing techniques such as blockage;
- Aerodynamics and thermal performance of buildings;
- Consideration of meteorological parameters in structural design and human comfort;
- Hydroelasticity of ship-ice ramming;
- Pollution dispersion and effects of wind on it; etc.
||Research Associate, Applied Mechanics, University of Tokyo.
||Post Doctoral Fellow, Faculty of Engineering Science, University of Western Ontario.
||Research Associate, Boundary Layer Wind Tunnel Laboratory, University
of Western Ontario.
||Assistant Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, University of
||Associate Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Ottawa.
||Professor, Deptpartment of Civil Engineering, University of Ottawa.
||Visiting Research Officer, Low Speed Aerodynamics Laboratory, National
Aeronautical Establishment, National Research Council Canada.
||Guest Researcher, Danish Maritime Institute, Denmark.
||Expert Advisor, Hydro- & Aerodynamics,
Danish Maritime Institute, Denmark.
||Guest Researcher, Vienna Consulting Engineer, Austria.
- Cheng, S.H., Irwin, P.A., Jakobsen, J.B., Lankin, J., Larose, G.L., Savage, M.G. & Tanaka, H., Aerodynamic behaviour of cables against skew wind, accepted for presentation at the 11th International Conference on Wind Engineering, Lubbock, Texas, June 2003.
- Jakobsen, J.B. & Tanaka, H., Uncertainties in prediction of wind-induced bridge behaviour, Proc. 5th European Conference on Structural Dynamics, München, September 2002, pp.569-574.
- Tanaka, H. & Jakobsen, J.B., Prediction and reliability of bridge behaviour under wind action, Proc. 9th International Conference on Computing in Civil and Building Engineering, Taipei, April 2002, Vol.2, pp.689-694.
- Cheng, S.H. & Tanaka, H., Inclined cable aerodynamics, Engineering Research Report prepared for RWDI, No.00-166, University of Ottawa, August 2001.
- Matsuda, K., Cooper, K.R., Tanaka, H., Tokushige, M. & Iwasaki, T., An investigation of Reynolds number effects on the steady and unsteady aerodynamic forces on a 1:10 scale bridge deck section model, J. Wind Engineering & Industrial Aerodynamics, Vol.89, No.7/8, June 2001, pp.619-632.
- Ge, Y.J., Tanaka, H. & Xiang, H.F., Probabilistic assessment of buffeting responses in long span bridges, Proc. International Conference on Advances in Structural Dynamics, Hong Kong, December 2000, pp.1471-1478.
- Tanaka, H., Damping in dynamic behaviour of structures, Engineering Research Report prepared for VCE/FCP, December 2000.
- Ge, Y.J. & Tanaka, H., Aerodynamic stability of long span suspension bridges under erection, J. Structural Engineering, ASCE, Vol.126, ST12, December 2000, pp.1404-1412.
- Tanaka, H., Cable vibrations, Engineering Research Report prepared for VCE/FCP in preparation of IMAC Project Report WP1, October 2000.
- Tanaka, H., Collapse of the first Québec Bridge, Kyoryo to Kiso (Bridges and Foundation), Vol.34, No.10, October 2000, pp.39-46 (in Japanese).
- Ge, Y.J., Xiang, H.F. & Tanaka, H., Application of reliability analysis model to bridge flutter under extreme winds, J. Wind Engineering & Industrial Aerodynamics, Vol.86, No.2/3, June 2000, pp.155-167.
- Ge, Y.J. & Tanaka, H., Aerodynamic flutter analysis of cable-supported bridges by multi-mode and full-mode approaches, J. Wind Engineering & Industrial Aerodynamics, Vol.86, No.2/3, Jne 2000, pp.123-153.
- Tanaka, H. & Larose, G.L., Simulation and monitoring of long span suspension bridges in Scandinavia, Proc. Workshop on Research and Monitoring of Long Span Bridges, Hong Kong, April 2000, pp.180-187.
Tel: 613-562-5800 ext. 6144
Last updated: 2003.02.27